Problem set #4 (which is due on Thursday, September 26) consists of two problems: 1) an optimal (expected utility-maximizing) portfolio problem, and 2) a stochastic dominance problem. We’ll discuss stochastic dominance next Tuesday, but in the meantime allow me to provide you with some hints for setting up the first problem.
The first problem involves determining how to (optimally) allocate initial wealth W0 = $100 to (risky) stock and (safe) bond investments for two investors who are identical in all respects except utility. Let represent the allocation to stock; then the plan is to invest $100 in the stock and $100(1-) in the bond. The key here is to find the value for which maximizes expected utility. The problem is based on the following facts:
- U(W) = W.5; for Investor A and U(W) = ln W for Investor B;
- W0 = $100 for both investors;
- Current bond and stock prices are B0 and S0 respectively;
- End-of-period bond price is B1 = B0(1.05) with probability 1.0; and
- End-of-period stock price is S1 = S0(1.3) with probability .6 and S1 = S0(.7) with probability .4.
In order to compute expected utility of wealth for either investor, you must first determine state-contingent wealth (Ws). Since there is a 60% chance that the stock increases in value by 30%, a 40% chance that the stock decreases 30%, and a 100% chance that the bond increases in value by 5%, this implies the following:
- 60% of the time, Ws = W0(1.3) + (1-)W0(1.05) = 100(1.30) + (1-)100(1.05) = 130 + (1-)105 = 105 + 25.
- 40% of the time, Ws = W0(.7) + (1-)W0(1.05) = 100(.7) + (1-)100(1.05) = 70 + (1-)105 = 105 – 35.
Therefore, expected utility for Investor A is: E(U(W)) = .6(105 + 25).5 + .4(105 – 35).5, and expected utility for Investor B is E(U(W)) = .6ln (105 + 25) + .4ln(105 – 35). It is up to you to solve for the optimal value of for each investor. There are two ways to do this – via calculus or a spreadsheet model. Actually, I would encourage y’all to work this problem both ways because doing so will help you develop an even better grasp of the underlying principles and concepts in Finance 4335. However, at your option, you may rely solely on building your own spreadsheet model. If you do this, in order to receive full credit, you need to email your spreadsheet model to firstname.lastname@example.org along with turning in the completed problem set.